Thursday, January 22, 2015

I Learned a Thing or Two (Challenge Day 4)

What sparks my curiosity is human movement. I am motivated to learn anything and everything about it. I want to learn it well enough to teach anyone regardless of their understanding, how to move themselves with purpose in this world.

So far my journey as a coach and trainer has led me to so many different types of people, a spectrum of old, young, soccer moms, current and former college athletes, to the obese, and to the skinny and frail.
They all have different reasons for starting, but all just want to be better. Better sons, daughters, fathers, mothers and just better people.

Some things I learned along the way.

I'm there for them. I try my best to put my things on hold every hour I'm coaching. People are there to improve their lives, and deserve to be guided in that journey.

I know one thing for sure, I don't know everything. I'm never afraid to tell someone that I don't know. My best replies is referring them to a professional in a case when a athlete is concerned about something outside my scope, I am not a Dr.
I am happiest when I'm coaching and being of service.

Be patient, even the worst of movement patterns can be corrected. I might enjoy this the most, it's like being a detective in my opinion. People are uniquely different and learn in so many different ways and it's up to me to figure out what works best. If an athlete is doing their absolute best but still don't get a movement pattern it is completely my fault for not finding the best way to teach it. "I'll be damned if I'm not going to figure out this puzzle", I'll tell myself when looking at someone's squat for instance.

Knowledge. I'll keep this one simple. I wouldn't get my car fixed by a dentist. I am a coach it's my responsibility to know a bit about anatomy, the way different energy systems work, and anything that will help me develop human movement.

Passion. I am passionate about helping people and try and make peoples experiences the best possible for their one hour of "me time".

Fun. If I wasn't having fun at what I was doing, I probably wouldn't still be doing it.

2 comments: